Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Goetta Chedda Double Deckas:


If you see me walking down the street, there's a pretty good chance that I'm thinking about something edible. I could be considering where we'll go or what I'll order out for dinner that night, or weighing different restaurant's tap lists and drink prices, or, more commonly, pondering the contents of our fridge and thinking of what to make for dinner.

A few weeks ago, I was walking by Fountain Square doing just that. We had refrigerated pastry dough, and for one reason or another, the jumbo muffin tin (that I've never used for actual muffins) came to mind. Inspiration struck--what if I layered pastry dough circles with other ingredients in the muffin tin? When I got back to the office, I sketched my plan on a post-it and headed to the store that night for the rest of the ingredients. Goetta, mushrooms, cheddar. And the goetta chedda double decka was born.
How to make the GCDD:

Preheat oven to 400.

1. Saute the mushrooms thoroughly and cook the goetta.
2. Cut a circle with a biscuit cutter or other round object in the pastry dough.
3.Place a layer on the bottom of a greased muffin tin.
4. Sprinkle some cheese in the cup.
5. Add a circle of goetta.
6. Add some mushrooms.
7. Add some more cheese.
8. Repeat until you've reached the top of the tin.


Cook for about 25 minutes, and if necessary, place on top rack and broil for a few minutes to get some nice color on the top.


We served ours with a basic country gravy. We made this for dinner, though it would also be great for brunch. It looks impressive and is actually incredibly easy to assemble.

3 comments:

  1. All the key elements!

    1. pork
    2. ooze
    3. layers
    4. carbs
    5. garnish

    David and Laura, I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We couldn't ask for a better endorsement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like they'd be awesome for breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete

I try to be honest, fair and keep a good sense of humor in my posts--I would appreciate if you follow the same policy with your comments.